ISY Elementary Blog
Sandy Sheppard , Elementary School Principal
28th October, 2022
Here is the cashless system video link to share with your students as a reminder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di0ud2kYhc
It is Halloween week next week with lots of fun events starting with the Halloween parade on Monday, please have your students ready at your classroom door at 1:40; they will be picked up by members of the student council, starting on the top floor.
We would like as many of you as possible to attend the Friday night Halloween event. This will show our support for the Parent Association and the students. It starts at 5PM.
CALL TO EARTH DAY
Thank you for your participation in support meetings. It is so important that we continually talk about the students in our classrooms.
DATES TO REMEMBER
28th October – Quarter one ends
31st October – Halloween Parade at the end of the school day 1:40 start
1st November – Cashless system starts
4th November – Call to Earth Day – there will be a special rotation of activities during our usual assembly time. More info is above.
4th November – Halloween Evening Event 5PM/Progress Reports Go home
11th November – Next Assembly
16th November – Parent Conferences 9-5 PM
26th November – International Day
PROGRESS REPORTING DATES
31st October – Buddy reading progress reports
2nd November – Progress Reports in PowerSchool
4th November – Progress Reports go home
16th November – Parent Conferences
Quarter 1 Report Cards and ‘Subject Blurbs’
Report cards will be posted for parents on Powerschool on Friday, November 4.
Here is the organization and timeline for report writing:
3rd – 7th October – work on subject blogs
31st October – Buddy Reading
2nd November – Reports in PowerSchool
4th November – Reports go out
6th November – Parent Conferences
As we did last year, we will also use progress report card comments as unit summaries for our Quarter 1 curriculum maps. You will write one or two sentences as a ‘subject blurb’ to describe what was covered in your class. Every student’s progress report card comment will have this blurb in it. There is one general comment.
Please write your subject blurbs on these grade-level documents – you should find your courses on these documents, but if you don’t, please let Mike know. We are using these documents so Mike can copy and paste the blurbs into your Quarter 1 Curriculum Maps.
Subject Blurbs: PK
Subject Blurbs: KG
Subject Blurbs: Grade 1
Subject Blurbs: Grade 2
Subject Blurbs: Grade 3
Subject Blurbs: Grade 4
Subject Blurbs: Grade 5
Message re: Focus on Learning 2022-2023
After such a disrupted couple of years, this year is an important year to figure out exactly what our student’s needs are in every subject area and how we are going to address them next year and beyond.
We will do this with Focus on Learning Collaborations, which we introduced before Covid hit and also did in April last year. The idea is to identify our students’ Critical Learner Needs, which then become our Problems of Practice. This language comes from WASC and ties in with how we will review all curriculum areas this year.
A Problem of Practice isn’t a shortcoming on the part of us as teachers – it just recognizes the fact that we are the ones who cause learning, and meeting student learning needs is our problem to solve.
Below are links to Focus on Learning Collaboration documents which we will review on Monday, November 7 – once the reports cards are finished. We do it at this time as we have just reported on the needs of our students, and we also have MAP data that we can use to guide us.
For now, focus on finishing your Quarter 1 report cards. Once you have finished with them, take a moment to fill out the document to be reviewed on November 7. On the documents, you will also see what was recorded last year.
- ES PK Focus on Learning
- ES KG Focus on Learning
- ES Grade 1 Focus on Learning
- ES Grade 2 Focus on Learning
- ES Grade 3 Focus on Learning
- ES Grade 4 Focus on Learning
- ES Grade 5 Focus on Learning
- WS Health & Wellness (incl. Lifeskills) Focus on Learning
- WS Music Focus on Learning
- WS Technology (incl. Comp. Sci) Focus on Learning
- WS Visual Art (incl. Film & Photo) Focus on Learning
- WS World Languages Focus on Learning
We want to ensure that the SDGs become a focus in Social Studies and Science. There will be more discussion on this in the coming weeks. To help make them a priority when planning, always consider the SDG focus before anything else.
If you reply to an email that I have been included in, can you ensure that I am cc’d on the reply. By doing this, I know that the email has been followed up on. Thanks
- Remember all progress report comments need to be buddy read.
- There is now a usable kitchen in the back of the cafeteria, which can be used by small groups of students supervised by a teacher.
- A parent has donated Halloween cupcakes for the 31st; these will be sent to your room on the day.
- FYI – sign-up for parent conferences will be 15-minute slots with 5 minutes in between. When the sign-up is ready, you will be able to go in and block out a lunch break along with two other shorter breaks. Specialist teachers will not have a sign-up. Specialist teachers will be in the Gym with the Senior School teachers (especially since a lot of you are cross-over teachers), and parents will be able to visit you there if required. Your school day starts at 9am and finishes at 5PM on this day. Lunch will be provided in the staffroom.
- Please promote composting in your classrooms.
- I will share the video on cashless payments; please review it with your classes before it starts on the 1st of November.
- The playground will still be closed on Monday but should reopen on Tuesday.
- No Monday meeting – buddy reading of Progress Reports
- We have field trip procedures. The first step is to discuss this with your Principal.
- The playground will continue to be closed. This will be reassessed on Monday.
- 3rd Grade Performance at Snack/Recess
At recess on Monday, the third-grade students will perform one quick song/dance. They will perform on the green grass next to the deck. If you would like to watch, please sit on the deck or on the brown/wood part that goes around it. They will perform the song/dance once. After that, if you would like to try and join us, we will ask if anyone wants to join. It should only take about 5 minutes. Bekka
- There are games that can be borrowed at break times outside the office. Please make sure you read the guidelines for the game’s use before borrowing.
MONDAY MATH ANSWERS
Grade 2 – How much is 9 x 8? 72
Grade 3 – Ms. Sheppard is 21 years old. How old will she be in 12 years’ time? 33
Grade 4 – Imagine a world with strange mathematics; if 3 equals 5 and 7 equals 9, what does 12 equal? 14
Grade 5 – From the center of what shape can you reach the edge at the same time? circle
DUTIES BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL after the break
Monday – Ian/Snow White, Tuesday – Bekka, May Zin, Wednesday – Jono, Zarchi, Thursday – Charlie, Swe Zin, Friday – Isabel, Ei EI
Previous Elementary School Posts
ISY Elementary BlogInternational Day Is HereSandy Sheppard , Elementary School Principal25th November, 2022Dear all, Thank you for attending the session on Thursday on SDGs. It is always great to see our community of teachers collaborating together. Read more below...
ISY Elementary BlogConferences Over and OutSandy Sheppard , Elementary School Principal16th November, 2022'Dear all, Thank you for your time yesterday for the parent/teacher conferences. I know the parents appreciated them. There are no meetings on Monday except for...
ISY Elementary BlogConferencesSandy Sheppard , Elementary School Principal11th November, 2022Dear all, Busy times ahead for us all. With parent conferences next week, however, we do get a lovely four-day weekend afterward. After that, it is a short 4 weeks until our...
ISY Elementary BlogHALLOWEEN FUN CONTINUESSandy Sheppard , Elementary School Principal4th November, 2022Dear all, Thank you so much to those who offered to support this evening. The Parent Association has organized a great event, and your support definitely helps the...
ISY Elementary BlogEVENTS, EVENTS, EVENTSSandy Sheppard , Elementary School Principal21st October, 2022Dear all, Many events are coming up, so please take a careful look at event dates in the blog. It is important that you give students reminders in regard to any...
ISY Elementary BlogHAPPY HOLIDAYSSandy Sheppard , Elementary School Principal7th October, 2022I wish you all a very happy Thadingyut break. Have a well-earned rest, and stay safe. See here for the latest EARCOS journal. Thank you to KG for their song in assembly and...
The International School Yangon
20 Shwe Taungyar Street
+95 1 512 793 /94 /95